The MUH-CTRC is located on the 6th floor of UPMC Montefiore. It provides state-of-the-art infrastructure, inpatient and outpatient facilities, specialized equipment, and experienced staff to support researchers performing clinical and translational research at the University of Pittsburgh. With more than 150 research protocols in our portfolio, the MUH-CTRC administrative staff strives to maintain rigorous oversight of all studies and is involved in every aspect of research from study design and budget development through implementation.
The MUH-CTRC has five inpatient and three outpatient private rooms, an outpatient suite that includes three beds and treatment chairs, six outpatient examination rooms, a metabolic kitchen, interview room, bariatric bed, and a sample-processing laboratory. Personnel include specialized research nurses, a bionutritionist, and support staff, all of whom have completed the University's online training required of individuals engaging in studies with human research participants.
MUH-CTRC nursing personnel can provide patient/family care and research protocol assistance, including development of protocol specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) designed to capture patient data. They are also available for consult during protocol development to review protocols for feasibility and conduct.
- Acute and emergency care with full support of a UPMC code team
- Caring for cancer patients, including cytotoxic agent administration and symptom management (certified oncology nurses)
- Complex endocrine diagnostic procedures
- Precise timing of drug administration and blood collection
- Protocol conduct and management
- Specimen preparation (centrifuge and aliquot), packing, and storage
- Venipuncture techniques (phlebotomy and intravenous catheters)
A bionutritionist (registered dietitian) and a full-time dietary technician provide nutrition services from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and on weekends and holidays as needed. A state-of-the-art metabolic kitchen is located in the MUH-CTRC. The CTRC bionutritionist is also available to consult with investigators during protocol development. Services include research participant instruction and, if required, disease-specific therapeutic nutrition education. Dietary staff can also provide research meals prepared for at-home studies of up to six weeks. In addition, MUH-CTRC dietary services are available to investigators using other CTRC facilities. Information regarding dietary services can be obtained by emailing Elaine Wahl, MS,RD,LDN.
- Constant diet
- Controlled nutrient diet
- Control of timing for meal service
- Estimated diet
- Formula diet
- Metabolic balance diet
- Micro and macro nutrient control
- 24-hour recall
- Anthropometric measurements
- Bioelectric impedance assays
- Direct nutritional assessments
- Food record analysis
- Indirect calorimetry
- Indirect nutritional assessments
- Nutrition software program
- Observed monitoring of intake
UPMC Montefiore Hospital, 6NE
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Administrative Office: 412-648-6691
Available 24 hours weekdays and two weekends each month
Administrator: Rosemary J. Sabol, BS, MBA